John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 16, 2024, 12:39:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I hung out with the Arcade Impossible guys yesterday and we both did vids. FUN!  (Read 2980 times)
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2013, 10:08:45 am »

Yesterday I met up with the Arcade Impossible gang to film the pick-up of a Gorf from the Retro Underground Arcade in Dundee, IL. It was BEYOND fun! We laughed our asses off. Look for videos from both of us of the day, we both filmed. My video should be up this week and the Arcade Impossible video should be up in December. If you're not familiar with Arcade Impossible check them out, they do a GREAT job!

HERE'S THE VIDEO I DID WITH THEM:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKAkYgO8L40&feature=c4-overview&list=UU0zwTpEMt8IsETC7mv9Tt3g

SUBSCRIBE TO ARCADE IMPOSSIBLE HERE:
http://www.youtube.com/arcadeimpossible

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 02:55:12 pm by blkdog7 » Logged
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 12:21:10 pm »

Yea I just subscribed to them. It's kind of right up my ally.

----edit----

Ok I'm glad I subscribed to there channel. I did a marathon run of all of there episodes {which wasn't as long as that time I did the marathon run of the Gyrus restore and the Time Pilot restore, which I may have to go again later tonight...}

These guys clearly know what there doing, also I want that payphone . I had the idea to make a tardis but when you open the door all you see is a payphone. I thought about adding a switch to that so that when your inside and you hang up the phone it makes the noise of the TARDIS {Time And Relitive Dimension In Space!!!!!!} landing. Doctor Who for the people who don't know what I'm talking about.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 03:42:39 pm by Shadaw_The_Rampage » Logged

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
Crazybanana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 12:30:36 pm »

Great video! not too impressed with the underground retro cade (coin door lamps really bug me)great selection just poor quality.
fair warning it is best to wait as long as possible before powering up cold games. the quick transition from ultra cold to hot can damage chips and semiconductors. It was common practice in our industry to let the game sit over night at room temp.
anyways any plans to come to the midwest gaming classic? would love to meet up!
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 02:54:44 pm »

In case you guys missed it, the video I did with them is up and here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKAkYgO8L40&feature=c4-overview&list=UU0zwTpEMt8IsETC7mv9Tt3g
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 06:19:15 pm »

In case you guys missed it, the video I did with them is up and here:

I saw it, twice actually. I don't exactly have a project machine laying around so i watch other people restore theres. Gives me peace.

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
alby13

Jamma Cabinet FTW

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 02:26:26 am »

Fantastic video! Those guys were awesome!

Those games were so mismatched with non-original parts, wrong coin doors, strange conversions, half-assed paper marquees and who knows what. I don't know how you held your tongue.

Get one of those heaters for your garage LOL it's epic.

I learned about their show I have to check them out. Thanks
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 05:29:56 am by alby13 » Logged

-alby13
"Go home and be a family man!"
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 07:23:05 pm »

Those games were so mismatched with  on-original parts, wrong coin doors, strange conversions, half-assed paper marquees and who knows what. I don't know how you held your tongue.

Yeah, that arcade was a bit of a mess with all the conversions and paper artwork. I know it's a massive challenge to get that many games working at once but yeah, seems like they let a lot of stuff slide.
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 08:50:11 pm »

Those games were so mismatched with  on-original parts, wrong coin doors, strange conversions, half-assed paper marquees and who knows what. I don't know how you held your tongue.

Yeah, that arcade was a bit of a mess with all the conversions and paper artwork. I know it's a massive challenge to get that many games working at once but yeah, seems like they let a lot of stuff slide.

Might also be a money issue. Paper Marquee's are cheap, the coin doors might of been refurbished used. Not sure just my theory.

Verminator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 12:57:11 am »

This was an awesome video!!

The owner of Underground Retrocade is a great guy, and really wants to make the games as real and authentic as possible. I guess I never noticed the mismatched coin doors and such and, for the most part, the games in the era I really like (80-82) at least had original controls and typically original cabinets. He also just moved into the new space after their old location was flooded out... so much of his recent efforts have been focused on keeping the existing stock of games running.

Watching John restore games in an OCD type fashion is really cool to see, and I can really appreciate how much effort that requires after hearing the amount of effort it takes our local arcades just to keep games running! Shocked
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 06:41:00 pm »

The owner of Underground Retrocade is a great guy, and really wants to make the games as real and authentic as possible. I guess I never noticed the mismatched coin doors and such and, for the most part, the games in the era I really like (80-82) at least had original controls and typically original cabinets. He also just moved into the new space after their old location was flooded out... so much of his recent efforts have been focused on keeping the existing stock of games running.

Watching John restore games in an OCD type fashion is really cool to see, and I can really appreciate how much effort that requires after hearing the amount of effort it takes our local arcades just to keep games running! Shocked

Awesome! Thanks! I had a lot of fun hanging out with those guys. Believe me, I know how much work went into Underground Retrocade, it's not easy to get that many games working!
lesoleil70

zaccaria.co.uk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 06:25:30 pm »

Awesome! Thanks! I had a lot of fun hanging out with those guys. Believe me, I know how much work went into Underground Retrocade, it's not easy to get that many games working!

Not to mention the cost of the Ink for the printer.

"We don't give the fuck, what the fuck you think of this shit, alright!" - Jacobsen, J. "Arcade Outsiders Ep. 56" http://media.libsyn.com/media/vgo/arcade_out_ep_56.mp3 (12/02/14)
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 11:57:26 am »

They posted their version of the video and here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZYy_nCf6lU

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: