John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 15, 2024, 10:39:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Punch Out!! Restoration  (Read 3244 times)
Pinballtec

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2013, 12:23:53 am »

Hey!  I'm currently doing one myself.  Mine luckily wasn't infested.  I'm still not sure what was in the top marquee section and I really don't want to know. The link you have for the freeplay mod is dead.  Sad  How did you get the coin door to come out so nice?  Looks good, keep up the good work!
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 10:48:17 am »

Coin door? There should be nuts on the inside holding it in place. It's pretty easy to remove.
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 11:42:55 am »

Coin door? There should be nuts on the inside holding it in place. It's pretty easy to remove.

I think he meant the restoration of the coin door John. ;)

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
Pinballtec

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 12:16:43 am »

Grin

Yes, that's what I was referring to, thank you!  I'm restoring mine for Timeline Arcade in Hanover, PA.  I had to use "Aircraft Stripper" to remove all the paint from all the metal pieces.  The entire cabinet was bathed in gloss black enamel.   Tongue  At least with the original coin door assembly, the bezels are intact so I can restore that to original.  When I'm done I'll put up an album and link you to it.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 10:48:23 am »

Grin

Yes, that's what I was referring to, thank you!  I'm restoring mine for Timeline Arcade in Hanover, PA.  I had to use "Aircraft Stripper" to remove all the paint from all the metal pieces.  The entire cabinet was bathed in gloss black enamel.   Tongue  At least with the original coin door assembly, the bezels are intact so I can restore that to original.  When I'm done I'll put up an album and link you to it.

I typically just strip mine with my sander then prime and spray paint.
Pinballtec

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 02:27:48 pm »

All finished!  You're welcome to look assuming this link works.  If not, I'll find another way to share.

https://www.facebook.com/chrispence1972/media_set?set=a.657697107597043.1073741828.100000702807493&type=3
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 06:08:45 pm »

All finished!  You're welcome to look assuming this link works.  If not, I'll find another way to share.

https://www.facebook.com/chrispence1972/media_set?set=a.657697107597043.1073741828.100000702807493&type=3

Your friend promissions prevent that. Quick tip use something like photobucket for sharing photos. Smiley

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 08:22:56 pm »

I have begun my restore. Lots of things to learn quickly. I am use to working on 90's and 2000's machines but I will admit the punchout is a completely different affair for me.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 08:29:48 pm »

Yeah like john said, go with sanding first .
Sometimes (and im a professional) stripper can linger after even when you are sanding and come back out when you apply primer paint and sealer.
You wont really see it because it will be dry and even alittle can screw your paint job up after. aka spiderwebbing and wrinkling.

Imma take my coin doors to the local heat treating plant where my buddy works and have at the bead blaster booth to strip mine.
bare metal to final clean to sealer.
DeLuSioNaL29

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 04:45:03 pm »

I used a wire stripper bit on a drill to get mine down to bare metal.  Then I just went with Rustoleum "hammered" spray paint, which doesn't require any primer.  It's lasted for years, no cracking or peeling.

Here's a video of it (3:37 into the video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsdjdSrKUmY&feature=player_detailpage#t=218

DeLuSioNaL29
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: