John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:18:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spoiler Alert?  (Read 3911 times)
airsoftmodels

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2014, 06:40:15 pm »

John, thanks for putting up part 2 of the Journey restore on Saturday!  I sat down and watched the whole thing right away.  As you said, this was a long one and the suspense was killing me as you rebuilt that linear power supply!  Well, I am not going to tell everybody what happened in the end, but its a good thing you are patient and don't have a short fuse Smiley  I was familiar with Journey from the arcades but I never really played it, and now of course I started to - it's fun.  I would like to reward you for the effort, so I think I would buy the Journey restore DVD if it was available.

airsoftmodels

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 01:49:25 pm »

Just watched part 3 of the Journey restore, short and sweet.  One thing confused me though:  I kept thinking the modern power switcher was going to replace the transformer, but you still used the transformer.  Do the Jamma games need a transformer too, or do they just use a $15 power switcher?  I build computers for my hobby, so I am trying to translate that to 1980's technology Smiley
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 03:19:30 pm »

Just watched part 3 of the Journey restore, short and sweet.  One thing confused me though:  I kept thinking the modern power switcher was going to replace the transformer, but you still used the transformer.  Do the Jamma games need a transformer too, or do they just use a $15 power switcher?  I build computers for my hobby, so I am trying to translate that to 1980's technology Smiley

No, the problem with the MCR games is this (as I understand it)....

#1 - The game requires 5v for logic and 12v for logic
#2 - The game also requires isolated unregulated 12v for the audio

The switching power supply is supplying #1. The transformer is supplying #2. That's why we plug that 12v amp connector from the transformer into the adapter.

Jamma games only need an isolation transformer for the monitor. The PCBs don't have odd voltage requirements like the MCR games.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 03:21:16 pm by John's Arcade » Logged
airsoftmodels

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 03:15:24 pm »

Just saw the video review of the 1983 Atari 800XL.  Brings back some great memories.  I had the Atari 600XL which had 16k of memory and didn't work well with the disk drive, so all my games were cartridge based.  It's amazing that the port is so good, I can't believe its better than the NES, since the NES uses a Z80 cpu.  Pac Man, Popeye, and  Jungle Hunt also look excellent.  As far as the static on the screen goes, here is a link to a site that sells 8-bit parts, I think you can get a nicer RF switchbox from them, they also have good prices on used games!  Thanks, John and keep up the great work.

http://www.4jays.com/atari8bit.html

John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 10:45:27 pm »

Just saw the video review of the 1983 Atari 800XL.  Brings back some great memories.  I had the Atari 600XL which had 16k of memory and didn't work well with the disk drive, so all my games were cartridge based.  It's amazing that the port is so good, I can't believe its better than the NES, since the NES uses a Z80 cpu.  Pac Man, Popeye, and  Jungle Hunt also look excellent.  As far as the static on the screen goes, here is a link to a site that sells 8-bit parts, I think you can get a nicer RF switchbox from them, they also have good prices on used games!  Thanks, John and keep up the great work.

Thanks for that link! I want a boxed copy of DK. Seems cheap.

Also, I ordered a video cable on ebay. The one that plugs into the video port. Hopefully it's better!
Tighe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 11:27:03 pm »

Thanks for that link! I want a boxed copy of DK. Seems cheap.

Also, I ordered a video cable on ebay. The one that plugs into the video port. Hopefully it's better!

I get that exact same interference when my Nintendo Service Center neon sign is on in the basement.

And John really thanks for that video, I want to drag out my 800xl and my commodore 64. I really miss using my brother's Apple //c, Ms Pac Man and Mario Bros on that system was almost arcade perfect. Well, it was really close.

Ms. Pac-Man - Apple II - Gameplay: http://youtu.be/sY1E29rzPs0

Mario Bros. for the Apple II: http://youtu.be/jV_iYmk1Sn4

But was shit on it:
- Apple II - Gameplay: http://youtu.be/cU8T9jvZH_s

I don't know if you have been following the arcade games that Opcode had ported to the Colecovision in the last few years, they are awesome:

Arcade now with sound (WIP): http://youtu.be/cPbrzezve60

I converts a lot of the old arcade titles that ran on Z80 based boards to the coleco which also had a Z80.

http://opcodegames.com
airsoftmodels

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 10:24:26 am »

Here's a photo somebody took of me in 1984 playing Mario Bros. on the Apple //c at the age of 15.

I don't know how to add a picture directly to the forum so here's a link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0v5cEppJiDIYVhmbVJxeVZmTWM/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 10:26:30 am by airsoftmodels » Logged
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 11:19:41 am »

Here's a photo somebody took of me in 1984 playing Mario Bros. on the Apple //c at the age of 15.

ha! That's awesome! Such a tiny monitor!!

BTW -- I remember Mario Bros. being awesome on the Atari 800. Stay tuned....
Tighe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 11:28:39 am »

ha! That's awesome! Such a tiny monitor!!

BTW -- I remember Mario Bros. being awesome on the Atari 800. Stay tuned....

Awesome that he has a photo like that!

Johnny, you should get that flash cart!  I plan on getting it as I don't have a floppy drive for my 800xl, just cartridges. I have everything for my commodore though. Only thing I need to realign the head, but I don't have the utility disc for aligning the head. If someone has a working commodore floppy drive I would appreciate it if you could write me a disc.
airsoftmodels

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 07:29:16 pm »

Just watched Journey restore part 4.  Great Job as usual, I particularly liked the detail you went into regarding wiring the control panel.  Everything seemed to fall into place this time - and you beat the game on the 1st !  It's neat that these restores don't get boring after seeing pacman, gyruss, time pilot get restored they all have different elements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
airsoftmodels

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 06:32:34 pm »

Thanks for posting another Atari 800XL video Johnny Be Bad.  I am glad it can still hold its own against those quad core monsters people seem to want to buy these days Smiley
But seriously, your TV screen looked much clearer this time,  are you now using a monitor cable or did you shut off the neon signs as was suggested by Tighe?

You have a great forum here with a lot of valuable participants.  Although I am a newbie here, I can see that your forum provides the same kind of comradery that those BBS's used to provide people back in the 80's.  

Congratulations, you are now the SYSOP!
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 07:49:41 pm »

Thanks for posting another Atari 800XL video Johnny Be Bad.  I am glad it can still hold its own against those quad core monsters people seem to want to buy these days Smiley
But seriously, your TV screen looked much clearer this time,  are you now using a monitor cable or did you shut off the neon signs as was suggested by Tighe?

You have a great forum here with a lot of valuable participants.  Although I am a newbie here, I can see that your forum provides the same kind of comradery that those BBS's used to provide people back in the 80's.  

Congratulations, you are now the SYSOP!

LOL! yes! I am finally a SYSOP! hahaha

I did get a new video cable. It seemed clearer but not perfect. Neon Light was OFF.
airsoftmodels

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 04:48:26 pm »

John,

Thanks for putting up the Journey restore part 5 yesterday.   I took my car in for a 30,000 mile service this morning and brought my iPad with me.   I happily watched you rebuild the G07 while others impatiently paced the waiting room waiting for their cars to be done!  When it started raining and thundering in the video I had to take my headphones off to find out if it was here or there.  Alas, I do not own arcade machines yet, so I am living vicariously through you.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 12:42:22 am by airsoftmodels » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: