John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:39:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Cruis'n USA question.  (Read 3965 times)
BigBadBilly

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2015, 12:22:53 pm »

So... got a sit-down Cruis'n USA game. Game worked a few months ago, I know because I got it from a friend and I've seen it working. Now, however, it doesn't.
After checking all the wires and messing around I got the game to boot up again. Now though, it hangs on the CPU board test. Well, it fails and restarts.

According to the diagnostic, a few of the chips are bad. Shown in red.

Basically, unless I can swap chips from somewhere else on the board, or there's some cool insiders trick to bypass the chips... I need replacements.

I've been looking everywhere to find some kind of replacement chips but simply can't seem to find anyone. I've seen entire boards on E-bay for... a lot of money. But I only need a few replacement chips. ( The socketed ones)

Anyone have any ideas on where to find these?

It's funny how over a few months, not just 1 chips can go bad... but a whole bunch of them!
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 03:21:18 pm »

would be helpful if you posted what chips were shown as bad.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
BigBadBilly

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 04:21:26 pm »

would be helpful if you posted what chips were shown as bad.

Pretty sure it's these ones.

Here's the diagnostic picture:
Here's the chip numbers: U 22, U 27, U 23, U 19, U 16, U 29, U 25, U 21

And I forgot to mention this: I can't find anywhere for this cable to plug into?
The number on it is: H - 181186 (The 8s could be 3s ). found the cable... and nowhere to plug it in.

-

I read somewhere that you could swap the bad chips out and replace them with some of the upper chips that are the same. Something about U 38 area being for linking the games. I don't know. All new to me.
As I said, just having trouble even finding anyone who may have replacement chips... or if it's even worth it. LOL

iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 04:31:16 pm »

I would have to look to see if I have the chips buy j have the ability to make new ones. As far as being worth it.  May be somewhat cheap to get a new board

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
BigBadBilly

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 04:37:21 pm »

I was thinking of a new board, but everything else seems fine except those chips. I figured someone would have an old board around that maybe doesn't work... but some of the chips are good. But I just can't seem to find any. Just a question... do you happen to know if they are the "Ram" of the machine? Or are they the actual game itself. Or... is there really no such thing as an old box having seperate ram. LOL
KJ4IPS

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 05:14:15 pm »

A peek at the schematic http://www.aurcade.com/games/manuals/00001083.pdf
Shows that those are the ROMS. You will need to reprogram them (with a burner and eraser) and replace any that fail to program, or order replacement EPROMS.
also, you should never remove the sticker on the EPROM, that blocks ambient light to prevent erasure over time. (Note the pattern that the failures occurred in, and the pattern of the removed stickers)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 05:16:16 pm by KJ4IPS » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: