John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:19:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting my 2nd MAME cabinet  (Read 2358 times)
grasshopper

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2014, 04:48:30 pm »

Hi all

I'm starting my second MAME project cabinet. It's a vertical cab, so I'm downloading John's vertical MALA frontend. I just got a Dell Optiplex GX620 to use as my brain.

I've never used MALA (my horizontal cab has Hyperspin, but I did it a few years ago, so it'd probably be impossible to remember how I did it). I have an ArcadeVGA and Jpac, and am going to install two joysticks with 4 buttons each and a spinner (spintrak), because the cab is an Arkanoid II. I've got all the parts, and am going to redo the control panel over spring break.

Any helpful hints before I get my hands dirty? Any other software or anything I should download? Are there any good MALA tutorials (I'm probably going to keep it very much like John already has it)?

Thanks guys!
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 08:23:37 am »

really nothing to do. Just download the mala game list editor, john's theme and start making lists.

I am still using hyperspin in a vertical cab though. Mala is not that great if you have a lot of games on a singe list.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 10:53:23 pm »

I was thinking about doing it in Hyperspin but it seemed pretty daunting getting it to run properly vertically. Do you have a video of your cab that I could see?
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 11:40:45 pm »

I don't have my cab set up vertical at the moment. But since hyper spin can't rotate just imagine it sideways.  I've thought about making a kit for hyperspin but my current setup is almost 1 TB in just mame.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 04:01:11 pm »

UPDATE: I've got everything working except the videos... i can hear them but I can't see them. the box just goes black once the video starts. Dang it!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 12:18:51 am by grasshopper » Logged
Galaxian77

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 01:19:39 pm »

I just got hold of another universal cabinet last week, and this will be a dedicated vertically orientated monitor. I  use "Groovy Arcade" under Linux (it installs very easily from the all-in-one ISO). From what I've read, changing orientation is as easy as it is using normal command line MAME. Not sure if you want a nice looking front end, or juat plain stable and quick functionality, but Groovy Arcade works very well for me. Not very fancy looking though, but worth a look if you havent seen it before. Good luck with your vertical cab...
teetdogs

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 03:05:27 pm »

Where are you getting the videos for your hyperspin setup?
moogrum

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 05:16:08 pm »

I bought a membership and got access to their FTP site.  Actually, I got a membership to there and one other one, but the name escapes me at the moment.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: