John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 20, 2024, 02:48:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help - Sharp XM 1801-N Monitor Issue  (Read 7909 times)
Pinballtec

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2013, 11:32:08 pm »

Has anyone ever seen this condition?

http://i.imgur.com/Fsvm9Jt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4Ai7fjp.jpg

The backstory.  Received this machine from a relative and when I fired it up, the one side looked like this, the other side is fine.  I recapped both chassis' and reflowed any solder joints that looked questionable.  I did an ohm check to the yoke and it appears fine.  Adjustment of the convergence rings does nothing.  I'm unable to perform B+ checks because of how the monitor sits, it's very difficult to operate while it's in the cabinet and at this point I'm wondering if B+ would even cause an issue like this.  I'm fearful it's in the tube.  If anyone has any information, it would be greatly appreciated. 
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 07:41:52 am »

I think this will help your issue. I don't think its the tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUL5TiUYAss

I'm thinking your vertical and horizontal are out of whack. You may also need to adjust the focus a bit too.

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
Pinballtec

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 11:05:42 pm »

Thanks, I appreciate your input.  I've been working with amusements for 18 years now and I've never come across this type of failure.  I wish this were a vertical / horizontal adjustment issue.  I could be related to a poor voltage issue but no one else has seemed to confirm that.  It feels like a deflection issue.  The red skews one direction, blue the opposite and green is level.  Usually when horizontal or vertical fail, it's pretty much on or off and not some weird skewed trapezoidal issue.  It's okay, no one on other boards seemed to offer that they've encountered this before either.  I'll know for sure once I swap the chassis with the good one which will immediately tell me if it's in the tube or not. 
Pinballtec

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 08:19:25 pm »

For the none of you who were wondering, it's the tube.  I moved the chassis from the good one to the bad and there was no difference.  I had a hunch that would be the case after moving the convergence rings to no effect.  So..on that note..anyone have an XM 1801 to spare?
tprentice22

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 10:22:55 pm »

To adjust the convergence you need to loosen and rotate/adjust the yoke not just adjust the purity rings.  Be careful what you touch if you attempt to converge the monitor which must be done while powered on, obviously.  It could be the yoke or tube is bad and won't converge properly then we need to trash it or call in the experts. Good luck!
Pinballtec

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 12:25:41 am »

I appreciate the input.  The yoke values measure out properly and coincide with the functional monitor.  The only thing I cannot do is get voltage values given the physical locations and operational environment.  I'd have to have the monitor out to perform that and I don't have a bench setup yet.  What I do know from not just this, but from my many years of working on Wells Gardners, Makavision, Pentranic, Electohome, etc. is that all indications are the issue is in the neck of the tube.  There was movement of the guns in some way and it wouldn't surprise me.  Before I had this machine, it belonged to a relative to really didn't care and would jostle it around and store it on end.  He wasn't cautious with his movements. 
Jack

Jack Kirkpatrick

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 07:03:17 pm »

It's the convergence! The guns may be out of whack. Try adjusting them if that monitor allows you too.

Jack
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: