John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:48:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Donkey Kong Jr: Replace Marque Light 100v v 120v?  (Read 3608 times)
Tarantulas

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2014, 08:08:36 pm »

The DK:JR cabinet I recently picked up is missing the original fluorescent fixture in the marque.  Is is possible to install an appropriately sized 120v fluorescent fixture and just run it at 100v?

Would it even turn on?

If it turned on, would there be any sort risks (fire comes to mind)?

If this isn't the way to go, what would be the best bet?  Installing an internal power strip and running the new fixture off and the DK:JR cabinet's regular 100V stepdown transformer / PSU from there?  I've got no issues with using an original fixture if you can still buy them somewhere at a reasonable price.

Thanks, experts!
lordkahless214

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 08:20:21 pm »

well I can say that some fixtures will work, I believe wal-mart has one that will run on 100v and that one you could plug directly into the 100v socket on the bottom just like the original one would have been.

In the case of my I had nothing but problems doing that, more buzz in the speaker and light that took forever to start, never had a fire or anything but i didn't like the performance so I just wired it into the labeled 120V screw terminals at the bottom of the cabinet, so you could do that too

How well it will work in the 100v plug is tied to what fixture you use.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 07:46:59 am »

while some fixtures might work, it may make a lot of audio noise. I had a shitty DK jr that had a light socket that i put a CFL in that worked fine at 100V. if you are willing to contact people on Klov i have seen people selling the original fixture if you want that.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 08:15:47 am »

The DK:JR cabinet I recently picked up is missing the original fluorescent fixture in the marque.  Is is possible to install an appropriately sized 120v fluorescent fixture and just run it at 100v?

Would it even turn on?

If this isn't the way to go, what would be the best bet?  Installing an internal power strip and running the new fixture off and the DK:JR cabinet's regular 100V stepdown transformer / PSU from there?  I've got no issues with using an original fixture if you can still buy them somewhere at a reasonable price.

Thanks, experts!

You can use the Wal-Mart Made in USA 18" light fixture in the Nintendo cabinet with no issues. If your original is missing it's a suitable replacement and a good fixture for arcade cabinets. It's cheap too!

computerfixerguy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 06:01:47 pm »

I think you are over complicating it. Go pick up the cheap fluorescent fixture from wal-mart. I got several of them when they were on sale for 7 dollars each last month. Cut the plug off and screw it into the 120v terminals, done.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 06:34:38 pm »

I think you are over complicating it. Go pick up the cheap fluorescent fixture from wal-mart. I got several of them when they were on sale for 7 dollars each last month. Cut the plug off and screw it into the 120v terminals, done.

I said that. Smiley
Tarantulas

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 07:08:41 pm »

Grin
VertexGuy
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 07:47:37 pm »

Would it even turn on?

Thanks, experts!

screw the original fixture,, wait til you have to buy the bulb for that ..
One place I went to wanted 30 bux just for the bulb.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 10:32:54 pm »

Would it even turn on?

Thanks, experts!

screw the original fixture,, wait til you have to buy the bulb for that ..
One place I went to wanted 30 bux just for the bulb.

Bulbs are cheap online. I have a box of 20 of them.
jumblejunkie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 10:12:23 am »

All my Nintendo cabs have a new 10 dollar 120v light fixture from Lowe's. Works fine.

darkcat1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 10:25:23 am »

I reinstalled an original in my PC10 and found the bulb and the starter online but I'm just obsessive that way.  There's an old thread over on the klov forms if you can find it for this
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: