John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:20:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you have or want a certain machine that you ....  (Read 1394 times)
VertexGuy
« on: April 07, 2014, 01:54:50 am »

Is there a special machine that marked a time in your life or brings back fond memories?

For example.
I think john mentioned the dart game and ICB he loved because played it with his wife when they were dating..
And donkey kong as a kid at the campgrounds as he figured out how to switch it for free games .

I have a few , I know what your thinking.. mortal kombat ! (nopers)
First lemme tell you about a yellow machine I ran into at Riverside amusement park back in the early 80's
For some reason that game scared the shit outta me, I wasn't used to looking at something like that
and didn't understand why 9 people were clinging to the machine .

Ok back to the subject.
I had an arcade near west farms mall we use to walk to .. My brother would bring me .
We would walk pretty far but it was something to do on the weekend.
His favorite game was zaxxon until one day we walked in and there it was.... Dragons Lair.
My brother looked at me and ran right the fuck over to it.  
He sucked at it. I got really good at it to a point where I could complete the game on one credit.
People would see me walk over to it and rush over to see the whole game played in its entire.
Ok that's one..

Second one ..
I finally got a job in an arcade at the age of 14 .
cleaning floors.. Vacuuming pool tables and what have you.
I played games like MACH 3 and Jungle King until one day.....
There it was soon as I walked in .. Splatterhouse.
Fucking love that game . If I ever had to spend 2 grand on a machine it would be that one.

LAST CALL.....
As I got older (before I went to college)  me and my brother would go to Jimmy's smoke shop in town to play arcades.
Then it happened. again. A game that put me into slight shock but I couldn't turn away.
Mortal Kombat.
I REALLY sucked at it.  I tried to find out moves and stuff for weeks. I kept going back .. I couldn't get enough.
One time I brought a paper and pen with me and wrote down the mailing addy on the attract screen and sent in some money.
They sent me a watch and comic.  Still have em.
MORTAL KOMBAT 2 is released...
At this point Me and Corey were all over this machine ..
We would hit up the student center at CCSU and play for hours.. winner stays loser walks.
Once a week 20 or so of us gathered for MK sessions (my buddy sharky actually enabled free play somehow )

Double dragon.... God bless double dragon .
No wait ,no more arcades

PINBALLS..

Pinbot , Funhouse, Party animal.
Those for reasons are my fav pins.
If I were to get stuck with 3 for the rest of my life it would be those 3.
I remember driving my chevy nova to the Berlin Tpke to bowl O rama to play pinballs.
Even if it was a snowstorm going on outside , id still take a ride at 1 am and just go play pinball.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 02:27:38 am by VertexGuy » Logged
UnwoundS3GA

I am otherwise known as Arcade Perfection

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 08:17:29 pm »

"EYES" This is a local game at my skating rink, and I would always play it because it wasn't popular.  Smiley I've always loved it! In fact, It is still there!!!!! Grin

I'm going to see if I can buy it off of them soon.
lordkahless214

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 01:39:39 am »

Well, I have been gabbing as many of those games as I can but there are still a few I don't have yet....

First one was when I used to frequent arcades with my older siblings in the early 80's, This would have been in Paso Robles California I think, Can't remember the name of the arcade to save my life....but anyway, this was your typical dark arcade full of games, black lights, and glow carpet, I used to play Crystal Castles here, and this was the only time I ever got to play one. I said back then I wanted to take it home and I still want one.

2nd: my Mom managed a campground/RV park in the mid 80's and they had a decent sized game room, with maybe 25 video games (now these would be called classics) one game I spent the most time on when I visited her was Pengo, I played that game to death, especially since I could play it free  Grin

3rd: In my teens I used to frequent my local Scandia family fun center, and back then they still had lots of the older games, one of the games I played was Dig Dug, My high score was on that machine until the whole arcade was replaced by new games one day.
I have been gathering parts for this cab over the last couple of years, already have a Bezel and CP but never can find the cab when I have money to buy one. Incidentally the only two games they still have from those days are a Centipede and a G-loc deluxe with it's motion broken. Sad.....

VertexGuy
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 04:45:13 am »

Well, I have been gabbing as many of those games as I can but there are still a few I don't have yet....

First one was when I used to frequent arcades with my older siblings in the early 80's, This would have been in Paso Robles California I think, Can't remember the name of the arcade to save my life....but anyway, this was your typical dark arcade full of games, black lights, and glow carpet, I used to play Crystal Castles here, and this was the only time I ever got to play one. I said back then I wanted to take it home and I still want one.

2nd: my Mom managed a campground/RV park in the mid 80's and they had a decent sized game room, with maybe 25 video games (now these would be called classics) one game I spent the most time on when I visited her was Pengo, I played that game to death, especially since I could play it free  Grin

3rd: In my teens I used to frequent my local Scandia family fun center, and back then they still had lots of the older games, one of the games I played was Dig Dug, My high score was on that machine until the whole arcade was replaced by new games one day.
I have been gathering parts for this cab over the last couple of years, already have a Bezel and CP but never can find the cab when I have money to buy one. Incidentally the only two games they still have from those days are a Centipede and a G-loc deluxe with it's motion broken. Sad.....

yeah the last of the good Chinese restraunts in my area (early 80's) had a pengo cocktail.
whenever my mom decided to take us we got all excited and shit we wanted to play pengo.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: