John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:42:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the name of the other type of connectors  (Read 1615 times)
Doc Hollywood

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2014, 04:01:11 pm »

I've seen about 50 if johns videos and I forget which one he went over this in but I know there are the molex connectors, edge connectors and then the type that kinda suck ass and the wire just pinches in there. I know they are not very reliable but I need to replace one and am not sure what to look for. Also is there another way to upgrade and replace that style to not fail as often. Thanks a million guys. Doc
lordkahless214

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 04:59:54 pm »

I think the one you are referring to is the IDC or Insulation Displacement Connector.
I have these things all over my Q*bert.  Sad

The bright side is that most IDCs can be replaced with a standard Molex connector.
Doc Hollywood

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 05:29:03 pm »

I believe that was the name I was looking for thank you. It's funny I went through the trouble of carefully removing it to reuse it and it just wasn't working out then after I Sussed out that was not the problem it does not want to reseat the wires. It was a four pin female conn and it only had two ground wires and a 5v hot  but all three were giving continuity so I removed the conn and tested the wires individually and still have ground and hot continuity so I'm going to have to trace them back to the source when I get home and see where the real problem lyes, thanks again for the help
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 05:54:38 pm »

I've seen about 50 if johns videos and I forget which one he went over this in but I know there are the molex connectors, edge connectors and then the type that kinda suck ass and the wire just pinches in there. I know they are not very reliable but I need to replace one and am not sure what to look for. Also is there another way to upgrade and replace that style to not fail as often. Thanks a million guys. Doc

Yes, the crappy ones are Insulation Displacement Connectors and you can replace them with MOLEX. You can e-mail Bob Roberts and tell him what you need.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: