John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 15, 2024, 09:57:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Avid_e_o_Gamer here hopeing i can learn some new things help welcomed  (Read 1732 times)
Avid_e_o_Gamer

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2014, 03:16:36 am »

I just bought 2 new arcades this month probably because I am in love with all things Nintendo
the first was the Nintendo vs dual system and the second was the dual screen play choice 10 (what a great month for collecting) and might I say I am in love with both and am hoping to have them both fixed up and cleaned up as soon as possible
The Vs system I had no idea existed until a friend of mine added me to his facebook group and that was the first thing I saw was his repost of a kijiji add of a guy selling one. I did a little research on the unit and was hooked within seconds so I traveled for 3 hours there and back to pick it up and I was not disappointed until the unthinkable happened. I had the unit playing for over two hours staring playing reliving my youth when I heard a loud pitched squeal followed by a pop and a burning smell all within 2-5 seconds petrified I pulled the plug to later try to power the unit back up but no such luck one of the 2 screens dose not power on at all no line no neck glow no nothing. upon further inspection I found a device in the back attached to the thing a ma jig (it was and still is kind of new to me)(PCB) that looked seared or oven roasted which I later learned was called a flyback. I now think I have found the problem and set off on a mission and let me tell you it was not easy sifting through piles of internet information looking for that grain of hope. some sites told me that the screen was a sanyo easy 20 others told me a sharp xm1801 (xm2001 transformer) I think im convinced that more sites told me that it was the sharp unit and have since placed my order so I can attempt a repair and that is now where I stand with it

any and all advice would be greatly appreciated in regards to this repair I have watched a few videos on how to do this repair

grounding the unit
desodering the flyback
sodering the flyback

any curveballs I should expect to run into? could there be more then the flyback wrong? some friends told me to test the current on things but I don't know where to start with that and im not gonna poke my fingers where they don't belong until I feel comfortable about doing it and have the right tools for the job

and now the play choice 10

for the most part the unit is functioning except when first powered on the bottom screen is jarbaled up but if I go around the back and pull the screen plugs (sorry don't know what they are called) and plug it back in presto all is well until I want to select another game or wait over an hour and then the problem becomes less and less when switching between games

any ideas on what could be wrong?
some friends told me to just replace the plastic plugs and wire and it should be ok is this the issue?
also having an issue with sound feedback how do I cut the humming from the speakers? just replace them wires as well?

any help would be greatly appreciated I truly hope I can learn the trade so I can then help others with the same problems and that are in need

thanks again        
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 10:32:48 am »

Welcome to the forums, I don't have any advice to give or id help. Sorry.

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 04:03:42 pm »

Is this a red tent of an upright? Red Tent's use XM1801s (Sharp). Uprights should have Sanyo 20 EZs or Sharps (19").

You probably should replace the caps and the HOT while you got the monitor out.
Avid_e_o_Gamer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 02:43:36 pm »

The is a sit down cocktail like the ones in your awesome videos Smiley
I did order the right flyback then yay me Smiley
so you suggest I recap the PCB while I have it out? i Watched a lot of videos on that stuff and know where to find them
and sorry for my noob question but what is a HOT location? what is its function?
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 03:07:06 pm »

The is a sit down cocktail like the ones in your awesome videos Smiley
I did order the right flyback then yay me Smiley
so you suggest I recap the PCB while I have it out? i Watched a lot of videos on that stuff and know where to find them
and sorry for my noob question but what is a HOT location? what is its function?

The flyback you want is here:

http://arcadecup.com/
XM2001 /XM1801 sharp (nintendo) red tent aftermarket flyback brand new.

HOT is Horizontal Output Transistor. They usually get taken out when the flyback goes bad. I always replace the HOT when I replace the flyback.

LOOK HERE:

http://www.johnsarcade.com/forum/index.php?topic=47.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: