John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 20, 2024, 11:20:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: People are sharing their basements...here is our construction zone  (Read 6295 times)
mrdude

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2014, 10:53:51 pm »

Just look at all that cement and unpainted drywall!

More:
http://imgur.com/a/RDta3
darkcat1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 10:00:24 am »

cool. just needs a few gallons of paint!
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 10:27:26 am »

Great space! A blank canvas!
yocke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 06:30:09 pm »

Sweet area! What are you going to have there?
mrdude

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 10:25:03 pm »

Thanks! It has been a slow going project for almost a year now. We're just slowly chipping away at it as money becomes available.

We're planning a TV area, and then a "game" side. There is a small room for an office/guest room plus the utility side which is unfinished.

For games that we currently have that will go in:
-Ms. Pacman
-Final Lap 2-seater cockpit
-Capcom's Avengers in a Tutankhamen cab
-Space Invaders cocktail
-DK cocktail (if I ever figure out the monitor situation)

Perhaps a billiards table. I'm torn...more arcade games or a billiards able? If we did the billiards table it would be a 7' table to maximize the space.

Any ideas on wall colors other than the standard beige/tan?
Otaku

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 07:05:59 am »

Maybe a darker color? I'd say something like dark purple / plum color but it probably doesn't sound too appealing. Light light green? Blue?
EDD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 03:00:35 pm »

i agree with Otaku, a darker color for sure that way people focus on the wall decor and not your wall
jasonsmith

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 06:20:57 pm »

What did you do to the electrical if anything to accommodate your machines?

I've always been curious what the optimal electrical setup would be if one was able to start from scratch.

ie, extra circuits, more plugs, plugs in the floor, plugs on the walls (neon) etc etc
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 07:17:41 pm »

What did you do to the electrical if anything to accommodate your machines?

I've always been curious what the optimal electrical setup would be if one was able to start from scratch.

ie, extra circuits, more plugs, plugs in the floor, plugs on the walls (neon) etc etc
I half finished wiring up my barn from scratch.  I ran individual boxes for each pair of games with about 8 games per circuit. I have outlets set up but unconnected to do under floor wiring using te office wiring.  I haven't added any extra wiring for neon or anything of the sort but I would do the wiring separate if I want to lights.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
Worm2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 08:36:40 pm »

I thought it was 8 games per 20 amp breaker. I only have 1 slot available in my panel right now. If I ever get that many machines I plant on repurposing the breaking for my generator. Smiley

mrdude

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 09:02:50 pm »

I think I'm with you too, Otaku, on the darker color. Although, perhaps not the purple. We also get a fair amount of natural light down there too for a basement.  

For electrical, the basement is divided into 3 sections. A game area, TV area, and an Office area (it's own room).  Each area is on its own circuit with 12/2 wiring and a 20amp circuit if I recall correctly. The lights for the entire finished basement are also on their own 15amp circuit and those are planned to be recessed lights utilizing LED bulbs. Electric heat is on 2 appropriate circuits.

From what I understand, it's overkill for a traditional basement, but I'd rather be on the safe side. At first the electrician was going to do the main area on 1 circuit and then I said I wanted it on 2 for all of the power!

For outlets, I just did standard height from the floor. I thought about doing higher mounted ones but I just wasn't sure where things would be. The only consideration was a higher mounted one for a TV but I opted not to as we weren't 100% positive if we were wall mounting or not. With every coax for TV is Cat5e for internet (I know...I should have done Cat6 but I had like 800ft of the stuff already). There are TV/Internet jacks in every area (TV, Game, Office). Also in the place for speaker jacks with conduit going through the wall up to the ceiling so I can wire the basement for speakers. I have the wire...the plan was to do it before the ceiling grid went in...that just never happened. Ideally there will be surround sound in the TV area and speakers for music in the 4 main corners.

Since this original drawing more games have been acquired...hehehe.... Hence the concern about the space with a billiards table. I also need to update it with the Lally columns....stupid things doing their job holding the house up! Psh..   An engineered beam isn't in the budget.

Here it a tentative layout though. The walls are in the correct spots though (closet underneath the stairs).

http://imgur.com/zzAg9gc
yocke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 06:17:46 pm »

Love the bed area in the Office! Wonder what kind of work that will be done in that room!!
lesoleil70

zaccaria.co.uk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 07:00:02 pm »

Looks awesome.

"We don't give the fuck, what the fuck you think of this shit, alright!" - Jacobsen, J. "Arcade Outsiders Ep. 56" http://media.libsyn.com/media/vgo/arcade_out_ep_56.mp3 (12/02/14)
mrdude

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 08:44:37 pm »

Love the bed area in the Office! Wonder what kind of work that will be done in that room!!

It's where I get to sleep when the wife gets mad at me...shucks! Grin
mrdude

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 10:20:18 pm »

The lights and electrical are done! LED Flood lights on a dimmer. Plus some poor mockups

The wife has said she is ok not doing a pool table but I'm still torn. Not to mention that saving for a nice one is still a few years out. In the mean time she said, "arcade machines would be cooler."

http://imgur.com/a/MSGbp
Thoughts? Ideas? I can't layout a room to save my life.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: