John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 16, 2024, 12:26:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sanyo EZ 20 center dot only.  (Read 3874 times)
rymin

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2015, 01:42:17 am »

Hey guys,

So I had a working Sanyo EZ 20 that came in a dk3 that was then converted to a data east game and then to a 3000 in 1. I've been working to try to restore it to a regular DK. Anyway, I followed the steps to re-cap the monitor board and the audio board as well using Ian's cap kit. After plugging everything back in (at least what I believe is everything exactly how it was) and turning it on (through the 100V plug after isolation transformer) all I see is a bright dot in the center of the monitor. I turned it off about 5 seconds after this happened because I assumed if something was wrong I could be damaging the monitor. Is it possible that I screwed up something with the cap kit or is it more likely that I have reconnecting something incorrectly? Anyone heard of this issue before?

Thanks for your patience guys. I am new to this and I'm sure you hear this kind of stuff all the time.

Cheers,
Ryan
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 07:51:54 am »

Sounds like you didn't plug in the yoke coils. Double check that you plugged them in.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
rymin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 11:32:09 am »

Thanks Ian. Yeah I checked that and noticed that the four yoke coil wires were completely severed and I looked back at some pictures I took before disassembling the monitor. For some reason, the wires had been twisted together and covered with electrical tape. Since I knew the monitor was working before, I reconnected each of the wires, red to red, blue to blue, etc... I then powered the monitor on and got only a vertical line in the center of the monitor from top to bottom. Are these yoke wires meant to be hooked up in a different way?

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to answer these questions,

Ryan
rymin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 12:52:29 pm »

After watching YouTube videos, I believe my issue might actually be a vertical problem. I didn't realize that the top of a monitor is where the anode is. So if I have the monitor in the vertical position (for DK, etc) and I am getting picture only in a line from top to bottom in THAT particular orientation, then that should be mean the problem is that I am getting no vertical output. Does that sound right?
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 04:17:13 pm »

It might still be possible your yoke isn't hooked up quite right. But if that is all okay its possible the vertical section is bad. There is a few transistors and an IC that controls that part of it. It isn't uncommon for sanyo's to have the vert IC go bad.

rymin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 05:11:29 pm »

What would you recommend me doing at this point? I'm not sure how else to wire the yoke. They aren't supposed to be crossed for any reason are they? Seems like a vertical collapse issue. I will remove the chassis and check the vertical IC solder points.
rymin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 09:20:23 pm »

I think one of my caps is installed incorrectly and is going the wrong way due to the board/trace being damaged.

Here is a pic.

Give it to me straight guys. Is she screwed? Sad

If so, anyone want to sell me a working Sanyo 20ez chassis? ;)

I really really don't want to have to go the LCD route with this restore.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 09:40:22 pm »

That cap would probably be the problem.

All you need to do is run 2 jumper wires and you will be good.

rymin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 10:07:15 pm »

Where do I need to run the wires to? Thanks Ian!
rymin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 10:25:47 pm »

Here is what I get when adjusting the vertical size. So maybe it isn't a vertical collapse problem and that capacitor is enough to cause this? Thanks for your help!

iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 10:28:44 am »

That cap is in I think the vertical size path so without it being in proper i think you are going to have some problems
That being said, that picture looks like a hsync issue.

To fix the cap just wire jumpers between what is drawn

rymin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 11:51:35 am »

Yeah that image I posted is being squished, so that is actually my monitor in the vertical position for DK. So it might just be that cap. Really appreciate your help, Ian. Thank you.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 02:32:00 pm »

So I just double checked. That cap is what controls vertical size. It still looks like h-hold is out of whack but if it goes away after fixing that cap then no worries. If it is still kind of messed up there is a pot on the main PCB labeled H-HOLD that you will have to adjust.

rymin

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 02:51:39 pm »

Perfect. Sounds good. Thanks Ian
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: