John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 16, 2024, 03:36:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ms Pacman with fast mod  (Read 3736 times)
lacerta1974

View Profile WWW
« on: May 18, 2014, 10:22:37 pm »

I recently picked up a Ms Pacman that had the fast mod already on it.  I'd kind of like to put it back to normal.  I'm not sure how to best go about doing this.  Anyone have any experience with that or know of some resources that may help?  I'm not sure if it's a hardware mod or software mod. 
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 10:43:38 pm »

I've been looking into it. There's a few ways that they can do but the most common one was to change a few of the chips on the PCB. I found on Bob Roberts web site that he sells chips to install the fast mod, or to get rid of it. I'd look there. When I get to it that's most likely what I'm going to do because I'd like to make my game like it originally was out of the factory.

http://www.therealbobroberts.net/parts.html#pacstuff

http://www.therealbobroberts.net/mpacroms.jpg
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 10:45:38 pm by P-feif » Logged
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 09:17:55 pm »

is everything fast, including sounds, ghosts, pacman. Or is only pacman fast.

If only pacman is fast then its a simple rom swap.

If everything is fast its a hardware mod most likely and only requires a replacement chip in most cases.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 11:16:24 pm »

It's usually a rom swap. Post a photo of your board? There might be some clues.

There is also a solder pad that can be bridged to make the game harder. Mine had that solder pad bridged and I removed it and the game was instantly easier. This was a Pac-Man, but probably the same .
lacerta1974

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 05:24:43 pm »

Thanks for the info.  Here's some pics of my board.  I noticed on the 6F eprom it has a different hand written label and says "Ms. Pacman 6F Speed" (you can see it in the 2nd pic).  Everything seems fast in the game.  Ms. Pacman and the ghosts.  I ordered some blank eproms on ebay this week and I was going to try and make a replacement 6F eprom and then switch them out.

lacerta1974

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 03:46:13 pm »

I burned a new eprom to replace the 6f chip.  All is back to normal with the speed of the game.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: