John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 16, 2024, 01:25:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Nintendo DK Jr.  (Read 3822 times)
zds76

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2014, 08:46:49 am »

im going to look at  DK Jr. tonight. Seller said that only change do to the game is power supply was changed to a switching power supply. I could be wrong which is why Im asking on here. Are there any issues with the change in the power supply or will I want to get an orginal power supply back in there?
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 09:02:09 am »

im going to look at  DK Jr. tonight. Seller said that only change do to the game is power supply was changed to a switching power supply. I could be wrong which is why Im asking on here. Are there any issues with the change in the power supply or will I want to get an orginal power supply back in there?

It should work fine in theory. I know others have done it. The only thing the switching power supply can't supply is the voltages for the coin counter which is no big . Personally, I use the original power supplies as they are pretty good and reliable.
zds76

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 09:43:18 am »

How hard is it to find the orginal power supplies? Can the old ones be rebuilt like the MCRs?
UnwoundS3GA

I am otherwise known as Arcade Perfection

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 03:03:13 pm »

How hard is it to find the orginal power supplies? Can the old ones be rebuilt like the MCRs?
You won't be finding original Nintendo power supplies that much online, because they are so reliable and on one wants to sell them. Although, occasionally there are Nintendo power supplies up on eBay or KLOV like this one -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-DONKEY-KONG-Arcade-Video-Game-Power-Supply-Tested-Working-100-/111324285613?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19eb71caad

You can rebuild this power supply if you would like. Although, you will have to purchase the capacitors on your own, as no one sells them in a kit.
List of Caps for Nintendo PS on Klov -- http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=187033
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 03:27:38 pm »

i actually have most of those caps already. I could easily order the rest and start kitting them. Maybe i'll tear a PSU apart and see if there is anything else worth replacing.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
UnwoundS3GA

I am otherwise known as Arcade Perfection

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 04:19:31 pm »

i actually have most of those caps already. I could easily order the rest and start kitting them. Maybe i'll tear a PSU apart and see if there is anything else worth replacing.
That would be sweet if you could start selling cap kits for it!
Tighe

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 09:01:32 pm »

You can rebuild the original Nintendo power supply, which by the way is a switching power supply. I rebuilt one and it works great.

Unless you are a purist you can use a regular switcher in there, just leave the original in there too for the next guy.
zds76

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 09:09:03 pm »

Went and looked at the machine. There is no orginal power sippy it's long gone. I don't know much about the sanyo monitors so maybe someone can clearify. The tube said sharp on it. And the owner could not verify if it was orginal and did not have enough knowledge to tell me if nintendo monitors came with sharp tubes. It didn't make sense to me to here a sharp tube and sanyo chassis. But I'm a complete noob so I passed on the purchase until I could verify things. It didn't help that all the rgb wires were all spliced and hacked up. Will attempt to post pix.

iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 10:02:38 pm »

looks like a sanyo 20ez to me. need help with it?

zds76

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 10:31:18 pm »

The reason I'm not sure if its a sanyo is the monitor tube says sharp on it. And all the wires are hacked up. My donkey kong says sanyo on it. This monitor says sharp.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 10:33:09 pm »

Don't worry about the tube. What you care about is the chassis or in other words, the pcb. That is a sanyo monitor through and through.

John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 01:19:33 pm »

The Sharp's and Sanyos are pretty much interchangeable and look very similar. The sharps came later and usually have a degaussing button on the back. I think I can see the button. I had those same monitors in my Punch-Out. They are legit and correct. Bob sells the cap kits for the them... Sharp XM-2001. They are very similar to the 20EZs. I think I used the 20EZ cap kits on my Punch-Out Sharp monitors when I did it. But, if you order a cap kit from Bob just order the Sharp one. The Red Tents also use Sharp monitors (XM-1801)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:26:20 pm by John's Arcade » Logged
zds76

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 01:29:42 pm »

Thanks guys for the input.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 02:20:59 pm »

Punch out has the sharps as well and my sanyo kit worked just fine.

zds76

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 04:10:54 pm »

What would cause one of these to start turning red after the game has been on for a couple hours?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: