John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:58:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 60in1 JAMMA conversion q's  (Read 4409 times)
NJPAcMan

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2011, 12:04:02 am »

So here is my strategy - feedback is always welcomed (since I am a newbie)

My Ms Pac is already JAMMA ready and I already bought the 60in1 board, but here are my concerns:

How do I know whether I have a CGA or VGA monitor?
 -  I need to select one on the board's dip switches to start the set up. Granted if one option I select doesn't work, Ill just switch it to the other one. 

My strategy is to wire the 2p start button to the A22 switch to serve as the fire 1 button and do the initial set up. After that is done and switch off of the setup mode on the board, I am going to run a wire from A23 to the 1p start button to serve as the 2nd fire button.  This should allow me to play most games now with 2 fire buttons and also have the start buttons pull double duty?

Am I correct to think that also only the 1p option will work with the games now bc I am only wiring the fire buttons on the 1p side of the JAMMA harness? Meaning if I were to start a 2p game for Galaga for instance that the 2nd player's fire button won't be recognized? 

Conversely, can I wire A22&Z22 to the 2p start button and A23&a23 to the 1p start buttons allowing the 2nd player fire buttons to work also?

Granted I hope I am explaining this clearly......

Thanks!!!
NJPAcMan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 06:29:56 pm »

Update-

I have a CGA monitor.

Board has been set up and plays well; did wire the fire button to the 2p button and everything works fine.

The only problem is that my colors (basically everything yellow shows up purple) are off. I tried adjusting all the color knobs but cant get Ms Pac to be anything but purple.  Wondering if that is a sign that my monitor needs to be replaced ??  Anyone experience such problems before ??
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 11:58:25 pm »

Update-

I have a CGA monitor.

Board has been set up and plays well; did wire the fire button to the 2p button and everything works fine.

The only problem is that my colors (basically everything yellow shows up purple) are off. I tried adjusting all the color knobs but cant get Ms Pac to be anything but purple.  Wondering if that is a sign that my monitor needs to be replaced ??  Anyone experience such problems before ??

Are you sure you have the board setup correctly? Is it set to CGA and not RGB? How are you connecting the monitor to the board? Do you have a J-PAC? Does the monitor look normal with your original Ms. Pac board?
NJPAcMan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 02:52:44 pm »

Thanks for the reply Blk-

The 3rd dip switch on the board is for VGA or CGA monitors (according to the manual).  I have it on CGA since I dont have the VGA connection from my monitor I figured it had to be CGA??

Looking over my post I failed to mention a piece of critical info. (sorry) Previously I have been using a Ms Pac JAMMA board and had the same color issue (MS pac purple instead of yellow). At the time I chalked it up to it being a cheap bootleg board... thinking the 60in1 would correct this.  Unfort. the same color issue exists.  Otherwise the other colors looks fine and the games play as they should.

At one point however in the past (4+ years ago); my bootleg JAMMA MS Pac board did show Ms Pac in the correct yellow color, but I just dont remember when the switch to purple happened.

I am only connecting the JAMMA harness/interface connector to the board. No J-Pac.

I did receive some feedback from another forum pointing to possibly needing a cap kit or maybe that there is a bad color video wire going to the monitor???

Just wondering what your thoughts are? Thanks

virtvic

It's on...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 04:19:54 pm »

Sounds like one of your colour input wires is loose / not connected or one of the colour transistors on the neck board has died.  Get the teswt screen up on the 60 in 1 and see if either red, green or blue is missing / incorrect.
Dazwilky

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 01:25:43 pm »

I have the same problem with my icade 60 in 1 board. Most games have lots of purple instead of the correct colour. For example, in donkey kong, Mario and the girders are purple instead of being red. Frogger is a total mess, most things in this game are purple. Did you find out how to correct this problem? Kind regards. Darren
HarrieD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 01:10:50 am »

You're missing the green color in your monitor. Can be the connection to that monitor which is causing the issue (jamma), but more likely a transistor on your neckboard died.(Vic already mentioned that).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 03:25:14 am by HarrieD » Logged

My blog / pinball collection

Restoration projects: Fire!, Outrun
Good friends: Funhouse, Whirlwind, Earthshaker, BTTF, Seeburg V200, Neo Geo cab
Left the building: F14 Tomcat, Independence Day
TheGuru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 07:09:25 am »

for sure you've lost one of the colors.
go to the test mode and select the color test.
if you have a missing color you will see only black where the color bar should be for that color.
anyway, the board is JAMMA. Try another JAMMA PCB. If you still have bad colors it's the monitor.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: