John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:16:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: a hum comming from power supply donkey kong stock  (Read 4063 times)
STEVESPEEZE
« on: March 04, 2014, 09:52:50 pm »

A Got a mild hum coming from the power supply in my donkey kong cab.
any thoughts?
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 06:21:46 pm »

ok ill answere myself
I found another 5 bux worth of quarters under the power supply.. I took it out and checked all the grounds, changed the chord, pulled the sound board checked all the SOTTER connections.
uh... checked my wires..  still got a slight hum.
go figure.
will recapping the sound board and vid board on the left (the two on the side of monitor) help?
or could it still be the power supply.. also theres what looks like a tiny isolation transformer between those two small boards does that go bad?
arcadefan1985

Williams Collector

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 09:40:33 pm »

I was waiting for someone to answer this. I rebuilt my DK and it has a slight quivering hum to it and always has had. What does yours sound like?
I just turned the volume down a little. When I have all the games on I can't hear it.

Anunaki

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 04:53:25 am »

I had a humm in mine that is gone since I recapped the Sanyo (incl soundboard)

don't think it came from the PSU though

check out my website: www.anucade.com
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 05:28:28 am »

I had a humm in mine that is gone since I recapped the Sanyo (incl soundboard)

don't think it came from the PSU though

recapped the monitor,  I have the 2 pcb board dk..
it has those two side cards next to the monitor I did not recap those yet.
the hum does come through the speakers
Anunaki

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 07:04:44 am »

I did the complete kit incl transistors on th soundboard

Vanaf mijn mobiel verstuurd

check out my website: www.anucade.com
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 09:33:07 am »

I was waiting for someone to answer this. I rebuilt my DK and it has a slight quivering hum to it and always has had. What does yours sound like?
I just turned the volume down a little. When I have all the games on I can't hear it.

The audio amp is to the left of the monitor and where the speakers plug-in. You should replace the caps on that sound booard.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 10:24:15 am »

if you buy twisted quaters rebuild kid it has new amps as well as the caps for audio

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 12:38:22 pm »

The audio amp is to the left of the monitor and where the speakers plug-in. You should replace the caps on that sound booard.

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb392/turbografx/1932428_785271034834682_1390197116_n-1.jpg
Im on it.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 12:45:11 pm »

I should mention that there is no guarantee that this will fix it. But, it's where you should start.

I have read a lot about DK games humming.
arcadefan1985

Williams Collector

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 01:01:18 pm »

Yea, I've rebuilt several ez20's and sound boards and my hum sounds like the bootup nintendo sound that is probably coming from the pcb set.

STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 01:01:25 pm »

I should mention that there is no guarantee that this will fix it. But, it's where you should start.

I have read a lot about DK games humming.

I don't have my hopes too high but it would be nice. ive had nothing but luck with this machine so far.
plus currently the find count is at 188 bux.
Even if the hum don't go away with these caps at least I know the caps were changed.
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 01:03:17 pm »

Yea, I've rebuilt several ez20's and sound boards and my hum sounds like the bootup nintendo sound that is probably coming from the pcb set.

It actually improved when I put a new power chord and cleaned the power supply.
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 07:20:02 pm »

We can close this case.. no more hum
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: