John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 19, 2024, 02:45:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: home arcade question  (Read 1768 times)
wraywray

View Profile
« on: July 04, 2015, 04:49:45 pm »

i have a problem with getting some electrical work done for my home arcade. i have an electrician telling me with my 200 amp box that i wont be able to have the number of games i am looking to collect. could you tell me what of if you did anything special to run the number of games you have?
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 10:27:14 am »

your electrician probably never passed grade school.

standard house hook ups are 200A split phase 240VAC. Since games use 120V you effectively have 400A 120Vac service.

Most games use about 2VA of power with a few exceptions being pole position at 3VA and games after about 1993 being around 3-4VA.
I have a 60A service out to my barn and have it split up in 6 20A lines. I have put 8 games per 20A line and have never had any issues. You could probably run 12 but you might want to invest in a $20 killawatt meter to make sure you aren't going to blow your breakers.

In short, use 20A breakers, 12 gauge solid wire and ideally nema 5-20R receptacles. I used 5-15P's because they are dirt cheap and they are just fine even though its a 20A line. Only downside is, its technically not code but meh, breaker will go before that plug will. Don't put more than 8 games per 20A line and you will be fine.

The only thing you need to be careful with is if you have an electric hot water on demand, those things can draw like 125A and if you loaded the rest of your service up with games you might blow  the input breaker.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
Worm2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 03:14:54 pm »

your electrician probably never passed grade school.

standard house hook ups are 200A split phase 240VAC. Since games use 120V you effectively have 400A 120Vac service.

Most games use about 2VA of power with a few exceptions being pole position at 3VA and games after about 1993 being around 3-4VA.
I have a 60A service out to my barn and have it split up in 6 20A lines. I have put 8 games per 20A line and have never had any issues. You could probably run 12 but you might want to invest in a $20 killawatt meter to make sure you aren't going to blow your breakers.

In short, use 20A breakers, 12 gauge solid wire and ideally nema 5-20R receptacles. I used 5-15P's because they are dirt cheap and they are just fine even though its a 20A line. Only downside is, its technically not code but meh, breaker will go before that plug will. Don't put more than 8 games per 20A line and you will be fine.

The only thing you need to be careful with is if you have an electric hot water on demand, those things can draw like 125A and if you loaded the rest of your service up with games you might blow  the input breaker.

Well said and great info!

If your panel is completely full. You can add a sub panel. Might get a little costly at that point.
VertexGuy
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 12:53:29 am »

i have a problem with getting some electrical work done for my home arcade. i have an electrician telling me with my 200 amp box that i wont be able to have the number of games i am looking to collect. could you tell me what of if you did anything special to run the number of games you have?

I had my own crew of electricians come over and check my whole apartment and breaker out for me because they owed me a solid.
They told me the only safe room to run the machines in was the one they are currently in now, but not to run them all at once.
the current from the pole is coming to the apartment building kinda jacked up.
Later this week they are bring surge protectors and shit (dont know all the details) and setting it up better for me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: