John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:40:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mortal Kombat or Mortal Kombat II?  (Read 1853 times)
xcaliber

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2015, 10:38:02 pm »

Guys,

I need a little help. I have recently gotten into collecting arcades. I have what looks like an originally dedicated Mortal Kombat upright. Someone converted it to a Mortal Kombat II. I can see the outline of the Mortal Kombat side art through the black paint that someone did. The control panel is a Mortal Kombat II. I think I can use the citrus strip that John's Arcade has used and get down to the original side art. I don't think it will damage it, but I could be wrong. Anyway, my question is which version seems to be more desirable? The reason I ask is because my plan is to restore it, sell it, and use the funds for a DK, Mario, or Baby Pac. Any advise would be much appreciated.

Treguard

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 12:50:25 am »

It's pretty common to see MK cabs upgraded to 2, 3, or even 4 (3 and 4 need the extra run buttons)

I'd think value-wise, you'll do just fine reselling it whether or not you convert it back. The original is a piece of gaming history, and 2 is just as fun to play!
xcaliber

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 11:25:17 am »

Thanks for the advice Treguard.
StevesArcade

Its NOT impossible!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 02:35:54 pm »

Mortal Kombat 1 has the front of the cabinet that sticks out and that you can slide the PCB out of the front.  Mortal Kombat 2, 3 and 4 are all flat fronts.  If you have an MK1 cabinet I would restore it to MK1 art and just put whatever PCB you want in it. Below is a link to a custom MK1 overlay that lets you add the Run button for 3 and 4.  If you can get MK1, MK2, MK3, UMK3 and MK4 boards you can put a 6 in 1 switcher and have them all.

just something to think about.

www.thisoldgame.com/products/utom-mortal-kombat-cpo
xcaliber

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 06:49:59 pm »

Thanks StevesArcade. Going by your advice I definitely have the MK1 cabinet. Going to get the citrus strip tomorrow and see if I can get the paint off the side art.
StevesArcade

Its NOT impossible!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 10:31:42 pm »

Lets see some pics!  Good luck Bro.  Just let the citristrip sit for about 15-20 minutes and get a wide putty knife and that crap just oozes off
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: