John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:44:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Williams Defender Question (Tech question) - FIRST Classic Purchase  (Read 1326 times)
jonecool

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2016, 09:03:57 pm »

I recently purchased an original 1980 Defender cabinet off of Facebook (market place).  It's the first original cabinet I've purchased.  Brought it home and worked reasonably well for about a week.  

However, now when I move up on the joystick it doesn't respond (down moves the ship down, and all other buttons except the fire button are on-target).  When I press the Fire button (and hold it down) it shoots once and then the ship moves up or it briefly moves up and fires at the same time when pressing the fire button repeatedly.  I checked the connections on the control panel and don't see any obvious shorted wires.  Not sure, but I'm thinking it's the I/O control board (the pins are soldered directly to the board - yikes!).  Since this is my first original arcade machine purchase, not sure how to debug the issue.  I'm quite comfortable soldering, removing stuff, discharging the monitor, etc.  Any recommendations would be appreciated as I don't have any contacts in my area that have a clue about this topic.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 09:07:31 pm by jonecool » Logged
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 01:57:51 pm »

I would start studying the wiring and undo any obvious hacks. Can you post photos? Check your ground wires and clean the leaf switches by taking a business card and pulling it through a pressed leaf switch.
jonecool

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 10:33:57 pm »

Thanks John, I tried the leaf switch with a business card but the issue persists.  Since it was working initially and the wires are soldered directly to the pins I think I'm going to replace the header pins and add a connector like you did in one of your recent videos.  Not sure where to get the connectors yet but I'll pull the cabinet out this weekend and see if I can find what type of connector to order.  I'll post pictures once I open it up again and maybe it will be more helpful.  I've been busy finishing a bar-top RetroPie cabinet.  Turned out nicely.  I'll add some pictures of it as well.

On a side-note, I was having some difficulties with a blue tint on the monitor.  I re-flowed the solder on the neck board and it's looking pretty good now.  Still needs a little color adjustment but much better than it was.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: