John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 15, 2024, 02:06:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nintendo VS in a retail establishment (bars, arcades, airports, etc).  (Read 2362 times)
Jack Burton

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2014, 12:20:53 pm »

Hi all,

I hadn't ever seen a Nintendo VS machine until I visited John's youtube channel. I have never seen one in an arcade, bar, airport, etc.

Have any of you ever seen them in arcades? Or any other more nontraditional places (such as bars?)

I think the way it looks, it reminds me of those video poker stand-alone units you'd see at a bar. Just the shape of it I suppose. Which would be cool to know that in the 80s these things were in bars.

Anyone ever see them in real life in the 80s?

-------
BloodyCactus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 12:51:36 pm »

I remember seeing them in 'clubs' down in australia. sports clubs would have gaming poker machines (slots), so there would always be a kids arcade room. cocktails and tents were often found...

--/\-[ A Pin Guy ]-/\--
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 01:08:45 pm »

I used to play the Red Tent all the time in Pizza Hut. They were out there!

And, they are in the new 3DS game:

Jack Burton

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 03:18:36 pm »

hahaha that's cool. What 3DS game is that?

My pizza hut had a couple of arcade games. I don't remember the names. Those red tents would be perfect for the old Pizza Hut buildings. A red tent is kind of like a mini pizza hut building . I do remember going to Pizza Huts though because of the "Book It" program where you would read  a book and get a certificate from your teacher for a personal pan pizza. Pretty clever marketing.

Here's an article about old pizza hut buildings that got converted: http://gizmodo.com/buildings-that-used-to-be-pizza-huts-where-are-they-no-1535481971

-------
pinballjoe

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 07:42:55 pm »

Never seen the red tent system but I have had my fill on cocktail tables. The earliest table I remember was the Space Invaders Table.

Pinball Joe
mrslippery

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 08:49:16 pm »

I currently have a red tent on location in St. Louis at "The Silver Ballroom" , which is a pinball bar, the red tent is the only arcade.
People seem to like it!  So far, the most popular games have been Super Mario and Dr. Mario (not terribly surprised).  Was hoping Balloon Fight would do well, as it is my favorite, but it has been the worst earner.

If you are ever in the area, check it out, it's a great spot.

Now to figure out how to save high scores on Dr. Mario Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: