John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 15, 2024, 06:06:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Leg broken on rom  (Read 1902 times)
eightballpaul

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2014, 11:11:27 pm »

I recently purchased SMB on KLOV and the board wasn't booting. I went to reseat the roms and the game did come up but I noticed that one of the legs was broken. I'm getting a wave on the monitor. Is this a result of the broken leg? What is the broken leg doing to the game? It seems to be playing fairly normally. Should I contact the seller and let them know that leg was broken? Any advice would be appreciated.

Games: San Francisco Rush Alcatraz edition, NFL Blitz '99 (showcase cabinet), DDR Bass solo mix, Raiden Fighters 2, Tekken 2, Tekken 3, Simpsons, Ms. Pacman (cocktail), Galaxian (cocktail), Megatouch Force 2003, Xbox kiosk, Rockband 2 kiosk
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 07:26:43 am »

depends on which eprom has the broken leg. you are ether going to have weird looking sprites or the game is going to crash/reset at some point while playing it. The wave is probably a bad filter cap on the monitor.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
eightballpaul

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 05:18:40 pm »

I'm not thinking it's the monitor because I have another board that I put in and it looks fine. Should I swap roms and see if it's the board itself? That way I can narrow it down to the rom itself.

Games: San Francisco Rush Alcatraz edition, NFL Blitz '99 (showcase cabinet), DDR Bass solo mix, Raiden Fighters 2, Tekken 2, Tekken 3, Simpsons, Ms. Pacman (cocktail), Galaxian (cocktail), Megatouch Force 2003, Xbox kiosk, Rockband 2 kiosk
VertexGuy
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 09:49:15 am »

why you asking? why haven't you already tried it?
It is possible depending on the game that you will see visuals like that with certain games if the rom is broken or corrupt.
Space invaders is one of them.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 11:31:38 am »

I'd contact the seller. A broken leg is going to give you unexpected results. I've soldered legs on before too. It's possible to fix.
eightballpaul

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 11:43:18 am »

I know Vertex I should try that I just haven't had time. I go the board this week but won't have time till Sunday so I'll try it then. Hey John I was talking to a buddy of mine and he said to try and solder it as well so I think I may go that route and see if it fixes it. I was going to wait till he came back since he's in Chicago for a funeral. Thanks again for all your input! I really want to get this VS thing going but trying to learn the ins and outs. Did you all ever get paint codes for the tent? I saw that was on the thread as a request but never saw the solution.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: