John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:15:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody know how a dollar bill acceptor works?  (Read 3135 times)
Jack

Jack Kirkpatrick

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2013, 09:56:06 pm »

I am building a change machine for my arcade, a Seiko coin dispenser, etc. But I was wondering how a dollar bill acceptor notifies the machine that money was inserted. Does it pulse once for a dollar? 4 times? Please let me know, thanks for the help.

Jack
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 10:06:27 pm »

I too would be interested in knowing the answer to this question. However a change machine could be purchased for around 400ish dollars.

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
alby13

Jamma Cabinet FTW

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 01:37:58 am »

I am building a change machine for my arcade, a Seiko coin dispenser, etc. But I was wondering how a dollar bill acceptor notifies the machine that money was inserted. Does it pulse once for a dollar? 4 times? Please let me know, thanks for the help.

I thought it would all be done electronically. I believe there is a small computer that figures out how many quarters for the specific bill.

-alby13
"Go home and be a family man!"
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 01:47:38 am »

Ya im fairly sure there is a board that gets pulsed, each bill gives a certain number of pulses, and theres an accumulator to register and remember the number put in.

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
Jack

Jack Kirkpatrick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 12:46:09 pm »

I think the coin dispenser uses pulses because it has a microswitch to detect how many coins were put out. It would be cheaper for me to make one: $100 in parts, I already have a cabinet to convert (homemade candy machine).

Jack
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 05:40:10 pm »

If you pull it off let me know, as this is the kind of project i'm interested in doing.

Crazybanana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 09:43:45 pm »

Most use pulse, pulls signal line to ground (can be hooked up to a coin sw on a game this way) Mars DBAs i believe are 50ms pulse. most can be set to 1 or 4 pulse per $ via dip switches on the unit some need to be programed via serial flash 
Jack

Jack Kirkpatrick

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 09:50:17 pm »

Is there any model bill acceptor you know that has dip switches and either uses 24vdc or 120vac?

Jack
Crazybanana

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 10:02:24 pm »

Mars AE-2400 series is a good model if you want $1 bills and $5bills only the VN-XXXX series are for vending machines make sure you get AE(amusement) 120VAC is the most common but 12 and 24VDC units are also available just harder to find cheap. units without flash port cannot be upgraded to newer bills like 2008 $5 etc. for larger bills $1-$20 you need a AE-2600.
this cable is helpful for adding a 120VAC DBA to a game easily http://na.suzohapp.com/all_catalogs/bill_validators/42-7057-00
2 wires hook to coin switch and the ac plug can be hooked up to ac 120vac in the game
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: