John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:32:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: anyone ever see one of these?  (Read 3179 times)
EDD

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2014, 06:34:33 pm »

My brother n law sent me a picture of this cabinet at a local restaurant called "Bravo Farms". Western Gun by Taito? never heard of it but the joysticks are gun handles pretty neat!

knaagi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 11:47:57 pm »

That´s the european version of Gun Fight. I knew Gun Fight but not this one. Good find!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_Fight

"Mach schnell, Dummkopf!"
EDD

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 11:52:20 pm »

I wonder how it got here in the US. Ill ask the owner next time I go.
knaagi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 05:29:28 am »

Ask him if it is for sale and buy it!  Grin
I would love to have such an old game. 1975!

lesoleil70

zaccaria.co.uk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 05:33:00 am »

ZOMBIES!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UVzepqkmts

"We don't give the fuck, what the fuck you think of this shit, alright!" - Jacobsen, J. "Arcade Outsiders Ep. 56" http://media.libsyn.com/media/vgo/arcade_out_ep_56.mp3 (12/02/14)
Chuckie egg

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 02:00:53 pm »

Great game
I think gun fight copied this game not sure
Great side art also
EDD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 03:19:57 pm »

Ask him if it is for sale and buy it!  Grin
I would love to have such an old game. 1975!

I will ask next time I go in. Its in great condition!
knaagi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 02:05:03 am »

Great game
I think gun fight copied this game not sure
Great side art also

from thedoteaters.com:

The game is originally manufactured by Japanese game company Taito under the title Western Gun. It is designed by engineer Tomohiro Nishikado, who would go on to create ripples in the video game market a few years later with a little number called Space Invaders. While graphically sparse, one arresting thing about Western Gun is its detailed character design for the two gun fighters. As with every game preceding it, it uses TTL logic boards as opposed to any kind of processor to run things. Midway buys the rights to the game for North America, making it the first ever licensed from Japan for overseas distribution. Contracted to Midway is Dave Nutting and his game consulting firm Nutting Associates. He and fellow designer Tom McHugh decide to forgo the flaky, hard-wired circuitry of Western Gun and redesign the game using Intel’s recently released 4-bit microprocessor. Hence, patrons in bars, restaurants and other venues in North America begin blowing holes in cacti, covered wagons and each other in Midway’s re-tooling of Western Gun, titled Gun Fight.  The dynamic duo of Nutting and McHugh solidify themselves in videogame history by also doing the groundbreaking Sea Wolf for Midway in 1976, and the two team up again for Wizard of Wor in 1981.

A sequel of sorts for Gun Fight, called Boot Hill, is made by Midway in 1977. Gameplay is decidedly similar to the original, with some graphical details and music added along with a colourful diorama background .  Atari has two versions of the concept, both titled Outlaw; an 1976 arcade version where players draw a light-gun pistol and shoot the onscreen villains, and a VCS/2600 home port more similar to the original, made in 1979 by renowned designer David Crane. In October of 2012, the Apple iTunes store sees Atari’s arcade Outlaw step into its dusty, wild-west streets with the iPhone/iPad app Outlaw, distributed by Atari and developed by Flying Wisdom Studios.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 02:07:54 am by knaagi » Logged

computerfixerguy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 02:44:21 pm »

Nice topper!
EDD

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 04:09:33 pm »

Nice topper!

Right!
Pages: [1]