John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:21:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cotrol panel layout question  (Read 2406 times)
symphonicelk
« on: August 18, 2013, 07:04:49 pm »

John,

I wanted to start by saying how awesome your videos are. 

This question might be more appropriate for the technical discussion sub-forum; if so, I apologize.

So, I have a question for you or someone else else on the forum.  I'm new to the hobby and looking for a little bit of advice. I'm considering a 19-in-1 Defender/Stargate Counter-top Arcade Unit (not ideal, but it fits my requirements for it to be limited in size). My question, I have to decide between the default Defender/Stargate joystick placement and a joystick placement (more centered) conducive to the other 17 games (Super Mario Bros., Ghouls and Goblins, etc.).

I'm more interested in the games other than Defender and Stargate, but I don't want the joystick/button layout to render Defender and Stargate unplayable if I have him change it.

Having never played Stargate or Defender at all nor any of the previously mentioned games outside of on an arcade unit, I'm concerned that I could really screw this up.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your time!
Space Avenger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 10:02:06 pm »

I would personally do the defender/stargaze layout since most of the other games only use 2 or less buttons so you could just use the two main defender buttons and it would still be normal.
I find it hard to play defender or stargaze with all 6 buttons in a rectangle but that's just me.
symphonicelk
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 08:08:46 am »

Thanks Space Avenger!

I've come to the same conclusion that leaving the layout as-is would probably be the best option.  Even if it's not 100% optimal, I guess that's the price I pay for trying to cram a large number of games in non-dedicated cabinet.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 09:10:35 am »

Have you looked at the Multi-Wiliams layout? That might work ok? no?

symphonicelk
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 09:46:38 am »

That would definitely work.  Now, I have to see if the guy building the unit will be able to/willing to do it.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: