John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 03, 2024, 01:27:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Top Questions to Ask to Determine Original Donkey Kong  (Read 3145 times)
DZA

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2013, 02:13:20 pm »

Hi,

I am a total newbie to classic arcade machines but recently I have become hooked. This coupled with my electrical engineering background and new house with plenty of room for an arcade has lead me to decide I am going to take the plunge and get started on my own home arcade.

A key issue to me is not the game itself per say (I can play emulated games all day on my computer) but rather the authenticity and history behind the games. Therefore a key to me that the game be as original as possible.

Therefore, my question is: what questions should I ask sellers to determine whether or not a is original? In particular I am more interested in the electronic components not the cabinet as much (although cabinet based responses would be great too).

Thanks!

DZA
jtdollard

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 02:46:52 pm »

Real DK board sets are going to be a 4 board stack or a 2 board stack. The Monitor will most likely be a Sanyo 20EZ there will be a 100v transformer in the bottom of the cab to supply power for the monitor and marque light.
DZA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 04:55:37 pm »

Thanks.

Along these lines, what original equipment is more difficult to find for (generically speaking). For example are power supplies rare? Monitors? Etc. Basically I want to know if I get a machine, what will be hard to find later.

Also, what original parts are the most prone to failure in your experience?
jtdollard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 01:03:49 am »

Well 4 stack boards are not as common as 2 stack the rest of the stuff is common for the most part.
I dont really think there is to much that is prone to failure. They have normal problems that any thirty year old electronics do.  Recapping the monitor Is never a bad idea. You can check voltage coming from the power supply but I have never had a problem with one. Only trouble I have had with my nintendo cabs are with the coin mecs the ones in my DKJr took a wile to get the switches working and the mount for one set in my red tent came unwelded.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 08:24:22 pm »

Just use your instincts and look at photos of original games before you buy.

If you are going to buy a you want a 2-board stack with a Sanyo 20EZ and the original power supply. Plywood cabinets are also more desirable than the particle board ones.

Just be smart and you'll be just fine!
martimagico

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 07:53:21 pm »

Good advice on the plywood cab, it is much more durable, i've seen my share of particle board cabs crumbling away! what a waste!
All Meshed Up

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 10:50:41 pm »

I recently obtained an original 1981 red cabinet . I thought I knew allot about the game's history, but the guys over at coin-op space really helped me out. Take a look at the replies to my post on it - it's a good read:

http://www.coinopspace.com/forum/topics/1981-red-donkey-kong-with-photos-an-amateur-needs-advice
DZA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 02:45:09 pm »

Thanks for the responses. I enjoyed reading the blog about the red cabinet DK.

Anyway, I ended up picking on up a DK machine a couple months ago. It is in good shape (only a couple nicks on the sides, but has new side art and everything else looks great). The back panel is not original but everything else is. In retrospect I paid too much but now I know.

In the meantime I have picked up a Sega Outrun I am trying to fix. After that is going, this summer I am going to try to find a Jamma cabinet. I am leaning toward Double Dragon.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: