John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:59:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mortal Kombat restore  (Read 1728 times)
xcaliber

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2015, 04:10:58 pm »

Hey guys,

After watching John do a couple of restores and getting some inspiration from this site, I decided to start my own restore. I have a Mortal Kombat I that was converted to a Mortal Kombat II. I could see the vinyl impression through the black paint that someone had applied to the side art. Today I started stripped one side of the cabinet. My plan was to have both sides done today, but with my kids wanting me to stop and play and the neighbors dog wanting to play fetch I could only get one side done.

I'm posting the restore on here to get a few tips as well. The first bit of advice that I need is after I stripped the paint I can see a few scratches on the side. My plan is to turn this back into an original Mortal Kombat and either sell it or trade it. The side art on This Old Game is $200. Would the side art make the value go up enough to compensate the invest. eXidy has it priced at $600-$1000 for a dedicated. My guess is that if I keep the side art with the scratches and thoroughly clean and paint what needs to be painted I would be looking at $600-$700. Anyway, any help would be much appreciated.

Treguard

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 07:55:09 pm »

I'd say you should definitely try to save that sideart if you can--even if it has some scratches and whatnot, It's STILL 500x better than the slap-on sideart sticker you see around
Ramair1997

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 10:13:55 pm »

That looks really good. Mine was really faded so I replaced mine with art from this old game. His art is really good quality. I replaced my mk2 with the art from over seas. Nowhere near the quality of this old game. Good luck!
VertexGuy
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 05:56:09 pm »

mine was covered with rhino lite .. I had to strip down the sides to bare .
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: