John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:01:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Donkey King Jr Cab on ebay: Chance of restoring this?  (Read 3415 times)
bitbitplus

View Profile WWW
« on: June 21, 2014, 04:30:35 am »

Hey guys, I need your help please.

For me, living in Germany, it is hard if not impossible to find arcade cabinets from the 80s, since there has never been a popular arcade culture here. I am looking for a DK or DK jr cab and those are really really rare here. Importing them from the US or Japan is sort of a pricey issue.

But just a few days ago a converted cab has turned up on ebay. That cab used to be a DK jr (which I would love to own) and got "sort of" converted to a Twin Eagle. Now, I have been watching John doing some incredible re-converting jobs on the Journey Arcade and refurbishing the Pac Man and Gyruss. I do think with a little help from you guys, I would also be able to do the woodwork and electronics.

BUT my big question is, is this cab on ebay worth investing into? Can you please take a look and share your opinion? Does this have a reasonable chance to become a nice DK jr again? Is that the original monitor or has it been modded? Can you get the control panel from the DK jr and install the original joysticks and buttons again? What do you think of the overall condition of this cab?

Please take a look and let me know your professional opinion. Maybe some of you guys have already been working on original Nintendo cabinets and know the issues and problems.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/360964852061?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks a million!
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 08:50:21 am »

Yes, those are the types of cabs I like to buy and restore. My DK3 was a Baseball game when I got it. In the USA I have paid as little as $50 for a game like that. If you can get it for around $200-$300 it would be ok.
bitbitplus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 09:47:09 am »

Hey John, thanks for the quick response! The price of that cab would be little above 470 dollars right now, which seems steep compared to your 50 dollar steal Smiley
But also pricey considering I would need to get the DK jr PCB, marquee, control panel, side art etc. as well.

Can you say something about the monitor? Could that still be an original Nintendo?
computerfixerguy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 10:02:02 am »

Hey John, thanks for the quick response! The price of that cab would be little above 470 dollars right now, which seems steep compared to your 50 dollar steal Smiley
But also pricey considering I would need to get the DK jr PCB, marquee, control panel, side art etc. as well.

Can you say something about the monitor? Could that still be an original Nintendo?

No doubt about it, that is a sanyo ez 20 in there. The power supply has been replaced but that's not a big to replace. The back door is even intact, so that is a plus. For some reason Nintendo cabs state side often seem to be missing back doors. It's easy to make a new one, but still, annoying.
bitbitplus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 01:01:05 pm »

An original Sanyo must count for something, right. In the offer it says the monitor has a red tint. But I hope that could be worked out.
Man, I am still unsure whether this cab in this condition is worth the money.
VertexGuy
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 09:26:16 pm »

well at least it still has the bezel , that saved you 50  bux right there
computerfixerguy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 10:55:18 pm »

An original Sanyo must count for something, right. In the offer it says the monitor has a red tint. But I hope that could be worked out.
Man, I am still unsure whether this cab in this condition is worth the money.

You said you were in europe and they were hard to find. Based on that I'd get it. It sounded like you won't have to pay shipping since it's near you. I don't know if you clicked on the arrow to see the second batch of pictures but yeah, the sanyo is in there, intact. The red tint is no big . You throw in a cap kit, new flyback, and then you set the b+ voltage and do the sub contrast pot adjustment and color balance - 99% chance it will look good as hell.
bitbitplus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 11:48:48 am »

ok guys, I think I'm gonna take a little road trip tomorrow and check that cab out. It's a three hour trip, but I want to see that thing in action.

Any hints on what I need to pay attention to the most? Of course I want to get a closer look at that monitor when the game is running. If the guy selling it is cool with it I will share some more pics or a video maybe.

You guys have been great already. I feel like I'm not alone in this Smiley
bitbitplus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 04:43:39 pm »

Took a trip down the Autobahn today to check out the cab. Well, that monitor is really really dark and dim. The red tint is obvious and I'm not sure just how bad of a symptom that is. The rest of the cab seems ok. Some damages to the wood and the paint. T-Molding seems a bit beaten down.
Control board seems a mess and might have been converted from the original DK jr.

I made a little video so you guys can take a closer look if you're interested. Hope you enjoy it!
http://youtu.be/NkaTNpdawTU?t=50s
bitbitplus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 04:46:29 am »

So the DK jr cab got sold. Unfortunately not to me. Which makes me really sad now.

Final price was 475 € without shipping (about 650 Dollars!), which was too high for my budget, also considering the work and parts that would have had to be invested.
Seems like I need to keep looking for another chance to finally start a real arcade cabinet restoration project.
alby13

Jamma Cabinet FTW

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 07:26:55 am »

So the DK jr cab got sold. Unfortunately not to me. Which makes me really sad now.

Final price was 475 € without shipping (about 650 Dollars!), which was too high for my budget, also considering the work and parts that would have had to be invested.
Seems like I need to keep looking for another chance to finally start a real arcade cabinet restoration project.

it seems like it needed too much work. don't give up, I am sure you will find a cab for less money or that needs less work.

-alby13
"Go home and be a family man!"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: