John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 16, 2024, 03:57:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking of getting an EPROM reader/writer  (Read 1809 times)
lacerta1974

View Profile WWW
« on: May 11, 2014, 09:54:34 pm »

I'm considering getting an EPROM reader/writer.  I watched John's episode during the Pacman restore where he was testing the eproms.  I'd prefer to get a device I can use with a modern OS like OSX or Windows 8.  I've seen some use of GQ-4X EPROM chip Burner and it looks like it would be about $100.  Any suggestions or recommendations?
lordkahless214

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 10:13:37 pm »

I love my GQ4X, there are a few things it can't do, but In my opinion it's a good entry level burner, mine paid for itself in just a few months by helping me fix PCBs. It's better than most other modern burners in it's price range, and you can upgrade with adapters as money permits.

lacerta1974

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 10:36:12 pm »

Thanks for the infor my immediate needs are to be able to read eproms form Ms. Pacman and 10 pin deluxe bowling.  Just want to read what's there and compare on ROMIDENT like John demostrated and then write to the eproms if needed.  I suppose I'd also need to get an eprom eraser too?
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 11:38:36 pm »

Thanks for the infor my immediate needs are to be able to read eproms form Ms. Pacman and 10 pin deluxe bowling.  Just want to read what's there and compare on ROMIDENT like John demostrated and then write to the eproms if needed.  I suppose I'd also need to get an eprom eraser too?

Yes, you def' need an eraser too. THe cheap Chinese ones on ebay work fine.
lacerta1974

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 12:33:40 am »

Just ordered both.  Can't wait. This should be fun.
BloodyCactus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 06:52:00 am »

Genius G840 > GQ4X!

--/\-[ A Pin Guy ]-/\--
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: