John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:49:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: lee from nottingham - uk  (Read 1725 times)
leejsmith

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2016, 05:54:33 pm »

Hi guys,

Is there a group for people that need to listen to john at least one a day or is it just me ?

I used to get £2 from my mum when I was at school and it would get me into town on the bus and I would have enough to spend a few hours in the arcade. I think my favorites are , Track and Field, Ridge Racer and Sega Rally 2 (I once played against the lady from fifth gear at a trade show and beat her). I had a Job programming boxes that would send meter readings through the mains to the office and used to travel all over the uk fitting them in arcades. Recently I helped to repair and convert some cabinets for the National Video Arcade in Nottingham and it proper got me back into wanting my own cabinet so I built a bartop from scratch and it has a small intel dev board called a gizmo2 that runs retro pi.

I now have my first proper Arcade game so I feel worthy of these forums.It was originally a Taito Field goal, but had a Defender conversion and then someone properly abused it. I am thinking of turning it into Space Invaders part 2 cabinet with the multi game that I used to test it. This cost me £100 and was the first cabinet that was not some generic uk made thing so took the chance and thankfully it is working.

have a look at the rest of the pictures

http://imgur.com/a/xLoxB

At the moment the monitor is not perfect, but now I have it out of the cab so I can mount it correctly I can work on it some more.

leejsmith

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 08:33:57 am »

I think I need to tweak the convergence for the blue, you can see it at the top of the white block.

leejsmith

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 12:59:23 pm »

Hi Guys,

I made a screen mount today so I can put the screen back at the correct angle.

I have noticed it takes ages to warm up, but then it's not too bad. Now I have the old joystick setup I was able to check a few games and noticed some of the issues with the fonts are only on some games.
I think it needs a cap kit as I can see a few with rounded tops and the horizontal adjustment pot kills some of the colour on the screen when pressed down so that looks like a bad joint.

I am sill deciding what to make this look like. It's either space invaders part 2 or one of the later generic taito cabinets like Alpine Ski.
jsurfin09

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 05:58:01 pm »

Looks great.. I have been trying to build a control panel for a Sunset Riders cab I picked up. It's a little more trickier than I thought it would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
leejsmith

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 07:10:38 am »

is that the 4 player version ?
allansim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 10:08:12 am »

I like your cabinet.  And yes, if some capacitors are bulging round at the top they should be replaced, and probably should just replace them all with a cap kit.
leejsmith

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 12:18:08 pm »

I am ordering a kit from ian kellog, but had some website issues yesterday. I waited months until a original cabinet showed up on ebay, most of them are generic uk builds and I want something classic. I fixed the marquee bulb, finished the screen mount and cut a board to go at the back. Next I will paint the marquee metal work and then on wednesday work on the control panel.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: